Friday 17 May 2013

Memories


Big Fishes' Carnival at The Lake - Memories

He came again.  With a different name.

Whatever society I blended into, somehow he was always there, without fail as if destiny had been pulling a cruel prank on me all this time. Much like a joke, he was always near even when I had flown thousands of miles away, trying to run away from reality without prevailing. An existence I could not deny, he was.

"Hi, my name is.."

Dave. Please say it's Dave.


"George. And you are?"

Maybe they were actually two different person. In fact, it was not so rare for someone to look like another. It was a logical conclusion, but how could this heart of a maiden mistook those eyes: charming and setting my soul on flames of love but burning like the pains of regret?

It was unreasonable for me to stay away from a gentleman so friendly in the midst of communities bathed in selfishness and corrupted with lust. He was a different person, so there was no way that I could get rid of him for something he did not do. Yep, a valid excuse.

Then it repeated once again; people started seeing us as best friends, others spread rumors about us being lovebirds. Whatever impression were left in the minds of the people, it was inevitable and undeniable that we were close, him trying to know me better and I doing the same thing towards him. However, I already knew very well about him: that he was good at both science and music, that he sometimes feels really down just because he lost a dollar, that he had problems eating egg-related food, all of him. I had seen everything of him more often than I could remember.

Resolutions broke down in front of the love of a lady: soon my feelings for him began to regrow, and the vow was once again broken.  The Pandora's box I was supposed to keep sealed, the forbidden feelings that ruined the lives of many: Dave's, Ben's, Jet's, Saito's, and would soon ruin George's. 

Before I knew it, pieces of him began to crumble and shatter much like a glass falling to the ground; inevitable, irreparable. It started with little things: he forgot that I hate French Fries, he forgot that we had been in a certain food court before, and he forgot that I had to work overtime on Thursdays. It wasn't long before he began questioning the name of the postman he had always greeted in the morning. It wasn't long before he began trying to politely ask my name again and again. It wasn't long before he started questioning himself and falling apart.

It was the most ridiculous impairment I could ever imagine: a dysfunction of the memory capabilities due to certain hormones being stimulated. He was, ever since his first life crumbled, forbidden from falling in love, but not even the Mother Earth was capable of splitting us apart. We would end up meeting each other, loving each other, as if our souls were tied together from the beginning, and lastly repeating history.

And I? A mere woman like me could only indulge in despair and made futile effort to run away now that the situation came back and hit the worst part. Before I knew it, I was in Miami, leagues away from Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment